Job Title: Vice President – Legal & Corporate Affairs
Department / Division Corporate Affairs & Legal
External Interface :
(Enlist external agencies/authorities that you are required to deal with while discharging your duty)
– Clients (Retail/Commercial Tenants)
– External Legal Council
– SEBI, Exchanges (BSE/NSE)
– Statutory/ Regulatory agencies: Registrar of Companies, Ministry of Corporate Affairs
– RBI/Other banks
Minimum Qualification :
(i.e education, training etc.)
Graduate / Post Graduate in Law from a reputed institute/ Qualified Company Secretary/ Qualified Solicitor
15 – 20 years of total experience, and at least 10 years in the infrastructure development industry with at least 5 years of experience with leading legal and compliance function in a mid-size organization
(required for performing the job effectively)
– Knowledge of Regulatory Framework
– Statutory/ Regulatory Compliance Management
– Knowledge of Financial Analysis & Control Frameworks and techniques
– Knowledge of Financial Analysis
– Basic Knowledge of RBI regulations
– Basic Knowledge of Business Modeling
– Basic knowledge of legal and project management
Overall Purpose/Objective :
Of the job Lead the Legal & Corporate Affairs function by identifying, anticipating and mitigating legal risk; ensuring total compliance with relevant company laws, legislations and statutory requirements; comprehensive contract management processes and effective arbitration and litigation management and introducing system driven approach in Group’s legal and compliance management
(List major responsibilities, that you have, to achieve the key objectives) Strategic
– Support the business leadership team by providing expert advice on legal and regulatory matters having a bearing on the company and its operations
– Evaluate the impact of evolving legal and statutory regulations on the organization’s current and planned future operations and investments; highlight the same to the leadership team during business planning processes
– Devise a list of proactive measures that can be introduced to mitigate legal risks, provide legal advice for policy formulation, install relevant systemic frame work and its maintenance; plan implementation with the leadership team
– Ensure and oversee timely submission of relevant documents and returns to external stakeholders / regulatory authorities and represent the company for resolution of any legal issue or escalation
– Ensure that the organization maintains a strong and consistent legal compliance record which can be leveraged for business development and prompt funding from sources.
– Ensure that the business operates as per statutory/ regulatory norms and contract terms and thereby no penalty clauses are invoked against the company
– Develop and secure approval for the Department Budget
– Monitor departmental expenditure and ensure adherence to the approved budget
– To formulate processes to be followed by legal & leasing teams at malls in the roll-out, negotiation & closure of agreements.
– To formulate, monitor and control processes to be followed by legal, leasing and operations teams at the malls in handling operational issues at the mall.
– To offer strategic inputs and advice in anchor deals to Centre Directors at LOI and agreement negotiation stages.
– To oversee preparation and approval of standard templates for LOI, LLA, etc.
Litigation Management :
– Represent the company before various regulatory authorities/ Courts of law for resolution of various legal issues
– Set up conciliation and/ or arbitration mechanism for alternate dispute resolution and appoint arbitrator for the case
– Ensure effective litigation management of all cases – identification, appointment and management of external litigation partners, filing of cases and monitoring their progress, and provide timely updates to the business leadership
– Explore, evaluate and manage out of court settlements in coordination with relevant business leadership.
– To lay out options and recommend legal strategy to Centre Director / MD in handling litigation matters.
– To oversee and protect legal interests of the promoters in their family assets / projects / transactions
– To oversee legal audits at centre’s to ensure that the set quality standards are maintained and duly observed in the administration of agreements.
– To implement training plan for the legal team in commercial concepts, drafting, etc.
– To evaluate legal risks involved in the day to day functioning of the various business units and recommend mitigation measures to the management.
– To standardize and circulate Legal MIS template for reporting by each of the units. (weekly/monthly) to designated management members.
– To set in place filing systems for maintenance of agreements etc in physical and electronic form.