Sony Pictures Networks is seeking a Senior Associate Legal reporting to the Principal Legal Counsel, the role holder will be responsible for providing Litigation support.
About the company
Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN), is an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation, Japan.SPN has several channels including Sony Entertainment Television (SET and SET HD), one of India’s leading Hindi general entertainment television channels; MAX, India’s premium Hindi movies and special events channel; MAX 2, another Hindi movie channel showcasing great India Cinema; MAX HD, a high definition Hindi movie channel airing premium quality films; WAH, the FTA channel for Hindi movies; SAB and SAB HD the family-oriented Hindi comedy entertainment channels; PAL, a genre leader in rural Hindi speaking markets (HSM) showcasing the best of Hindi general entertainment and Hindi movies from SPN’s content library; PIX and PIX HD, Sony BBC Earth and Sony BBC Earth HD, the premium factual entertainment channels, Sony AATH, the Bangla entertainment channel; YAY!, the kids entertainment channel; sports entertainment channels; SONY SIX, SONY SIX HD, SONY TEN 1, SONY TEN 1 HD, SONY TEN 2, SONY TEN 2 HD, SONY TEN 3, SONY TEN 3 HD; SONY TEN 4, SONY TEN 4 HD; Sony Marathi, the Marathi general entertainment channel; SonyLIV – the digital entertainment VOD platform; and Studio NEXT the independent production venture for original content and IPs for TV and digital media. SPN reaches out to over 700 million viewers in India and is available in 167 countries.
The network is recognized as an employer of choice within and outside the media industry. SPN is a recipient of several awards, including India’s Best Companies to Work For 2020 by the Great Place to Work- Institute, India, ‘Aon Best Employers India’ awards in recognition of SPN’s unique workplace culture and exceptional people practices, consistently ranked amongst India’s Top 10 Companies with Best Health & Wellness Practices by SHRM & CGP Partners and listed by Working Mother & AVTAR as one of the 100 Best Companies for Women in India. Sony Pictures Networks India Private Limited is in its 26th year of operations in India. It has a subsidiary, MSM-Worldwide Factual Media Private Limited, and an affiliate, Bangla Entertainment Private Limited in India.
Key Responsibilities :
– Initiate and defend legal proceedings filed before various courts/forums by and against the company.
– Assist in filing recovery proceedings and other cases in terms of reviewing the draft petition and providing comments on the same to lawyers for finalizing the petitions.
– Closely coordinating with the Regional business heads and taking care of their business needs.
– Timely advice to internal stakeholders on various legal issues.
– Representing the company before police authorities and other statutory bodies.
– Proactively resolving legal issues and providing solutions to avoid litigations.
– To initiate legal proceedings in case of dishonor of cheques U/S 138 of N.I.Act.
– To update the status of all the litigations in the LMS and ensure that the same is made available on a real-time basis.
– Coordination with external lawyers, briefing them on regular basis on the litigations.
– Coordinating with the Sales and Operations team in connection with the issuance of disconnection notices to operators
– Conducting research on Case Laws.
– Reviewing and drafting of various agreements as per business requirements.
– Briefing Senior Counsels in respect of critical litigations
Critical Competencies for Success:
Behavioral/ Personal Characteristics :
– Ability to leverages relationships, build a strong network, and have effective negotiations.
– Strong communication skills and getting along well with others
– Quick learner; Smart; Self-starter; Proactive
– Willingness to stretch and work under pressure, as and when required to do so
– Independent worker who values adherence to timelines
– Multi-tasking skill sets
– To have a proactive approach rather than reactive
Technical skills :
– Good litigation experience
– Good drafting skills. Able to draft legal notices/responses independently
– Ability to understand and interpret the relevant laws, rules, and regulations and apply the same while drafting/finalizing the applications/petitions to be filed in the Court
– Good analytical skills
– Eye for detail
– Graduate in Law, LL.M Preferred.
– Overall experience 7-10 years
– Should have worked in a mid-sized Corporate or Law Firm of repute having Telecom, Media/Broadcasting & Distribution companies as their clients. Exposure to litigation and representation before various Courts and statutory authorities.
Desirable experience :
– Litigation experience in Media, Broadcasting & Distribution Company and knowledge of IPR laws with a focus on Copyright Act and Trade Mark Act. Other job requirements Good knowledge about criminal laws (Defamation/IPRs)