Education– LLB or LLM (added advantage)
Overall Experience – Minimum 10 years- post LL.B. as an in-house lawyer and/or in law firms.
Essential expertise – The incumbent should be expert in M&E laws and regulations
Other job requirements – Substantial experience of the incumbent should be in media and entertainment industry.
The incumbent will be responsible to lead legal, regulatory and compliance work of the following verticals:
– All the SPN network channels (except sports)
– Studio Next
– SPN Motion Pictures
– Music portfolio
– International business of SPN including through SPN’s international subsidiaries in Singapore, UK, South Africa and USA
– Regulatory work associated with the aforesaid verticals
– Support to India Litigation Team
– International litigation
– Regulatory matters concerning production and S&P
– Legal systems and processes
Critical Competencies for Success:
Someone who is:
– Forward looking and who stays ahead of the curve in terms of (a) her and that of her team’s performance, (b) regulatory changes and how these are likely to impact SPNI businesses, and (c) effective management of expectations of internal stakeholders;
– Proactively engages and wins the confidence of internal and external stakeholders in handling high complexity transactional work;
– Leads from the front and by example
– Motivated and motivates a team of enthusiastic, hard-working and trained lawyers; and
– Business-friendly lawyer with an ability to manage and maximize the exploitation of the intellectual property rights and at the same time knows how and when bring in the balance with risk mitigation.
Other Personal Characteristics:
– The successful candidate must be bright, quick, and a team leader who also possesses independence of thought and opinion to provide candor and honesty to support and influence key business decisions.
– Must have authenticity to establish quality relationships across the organization through the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and mutual respect. Personal traits which will make one an ideal candidate for the position are:
– Straightforward, professional and polished
– Excellent communicator
– A do-it-yourself orientation, consistent with the company’s – roll-up the-sleeves- culture
– Is a balanced individual capable of developing creative solutions while anticipating and mitigating risks
– Has business acumen and is a strategic thinker
– Is an independent thinker and assertive. Can voice his/her opinion and challenge status quo in a professional manner.
Contribution and Time Allocation:
The incumbent’s contribution is expected to come through in the following manner and supported by time spend:
(a) Individual contribution – 40-50%: The incumbent to independently and exclusively work on certain assignments provided by the manager, take on complex and critical transactions and handle on his/her own; and support his/her team in managing the work when the influx is high by individually handling certain transactions;
(b) Team Contribution – 50-60%: This shall involve actively mentoring, guiding, supervising and reviewing team’s work; keeping team’s performance and learning ahead of the curve and ensuring the development of the team in all respects; and creating opportunities for self and team to grow.