Maersk is looking to hire Incident & Litigation Co-ordinator for Legal Team in Mumbai.
We are seeking a self-motivated and dedicated professional with an affinity for strategic and operational support in large and complex maritime casualties. The vacancy will fill a role within Maersk’s Incident Management & Strategic Support team.
This role offers a unique opportunity to further develop a career as a specialist within the area of casualty handling and maritime litigation management. The position is based in Mumbai, India and will report to Manager – Incident Management & Strategic Support.
The nature of this profile demands flexibility of work timings depending on the incident.
– This is team’s primary and main responsibility and thus takes priority over other tasks.
– Coordinate the flow of information and mitigate the loss arising from marine incidents, such as fire, collision, grounding and heavy weather damage.
– Liaise with Operations, Commercial Teams and External network (P&I Insurers, correspondents, law firms, GA adjusters, salvage traders).
– Provide information, guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders.
– Handling legal disputes, negotiations, dispute resolution, recoveries against liable third parties and settlements in co-operation with the relevant internal stakeholders.
– Responsibility for all court cases, collecting relevant information, costing, assessing, summarizing and maintaining the claims system
Support Incident team:
– Engage with internal stakeholders to constantly improve and share best practices in relation to incident handling.
– Liaise with external stakeholders to devise incident handling protocols.
– Application of risk management and incident handling routines to devise and execute action plans as soon the team receives notification of an incident requiring the activation of such plans.
– Identify and retain contemporaneous evidence in preparation of claims and recovery arising from the incident.
Support Legal Counsel, Mumbai
– Manage and monitor development on new matters arising with focus on claims requiring the involvement of external legal counsel.
– Ensure the timely engagement and assistance of frontline commercial colleagues to avoid cost exposure.
– Legal loss prevention in terms of avoidance of unnecessary court actions.
– Coordinate with Lawyers as and when required.
– Obtain quarterly reports on the status of the cases handled by them
– To ensure all documents related to court cases are duly electronically stored/physically stored for easy access/retrieval.
– To maintain confidentiality/safekeeping of documents in custody.
– Mapping and sharing lessons learnt while handling cases in various jurisdictions.
– Always act in a manner consistent with and loyal to the Maersk Values.
Challenge of the job/problem solving:
– The person needs to be highly self-motivated with a solution driven attitude.
– The person needs to be highly analytical with strong attention to detail, without losing sight of the overall bigger perspective.
– To have the ability to develop a good rapport with a variety of stakeholders from different cultures, identifying and meeting their needs whilst ensuring a beneficial outcome for the carrier.
The ability to wear different hats and remain level-headed and flexible in a variety of situations.
We are looking for:
– Law graduate with proven experience in managing maritime casualties, Hull & Machinery, cargo claims, maritime litigation
– Sound shipping Knowledge and understanding of operations.
– In depth understanding of legal principles underpinning international trade, bills of lading and COGSA.
Training/Special Skills Required:
– Future oriented decision making
– Attention to Detail
– Solution and result-oriented mindset towards court case handling
– Is highly motivated to learn as well as share knowledge
– Excellent written and spoken English
– Focus on Quality
– Work under pressure
– Tactful and effective handling of multiple stakeholders
– Ability to perform in and contribute to a team-oriented environment
– Ability to analyze, structure and organize tasks and work independently