– Evaluate impact of evolving legal and statutory regulations on the organization’s current and proposed operations and investments and highlight the same, with particular reference to mining laws and other laws in general.
– Develop an in-house counsel as well as an external counsel to address legal aspects of all Corporate processes.
– Develop dedicated team for trademarks and copy rights to ensure risk mitigation; attend to trademark agreements, work closely with the Group Legal Head and Marketing team to oversee branding and trademark protection
– Frame standard /routine norms for filing of trademarks and patents and coordinate with the Intellectual property team for filing of patents
– Examine legal requirements related to prospective M&As or partnerships as part of due diligence checklist preparation and coordinate the legal Due Diligence Review process
– Review legal implications of proposals made by business development
– Direct team to put in place a compliance system for legal compliance; oversee communication of monthly compliance checklists and escalate to the relevant authorities in case of non compliance
– Guide the organization in interpretation of laws regarding all aspects of business and corporate life and regulations applicable to the business
– Provide inputs through interaction with user departments on various legal issues including risk involved and their perception of legal risk
– Ensure legal compliance for all outbound investments and setting up subsidiaries of Strides, Joint Ventures, etc like compliance with RBI norms, FEMA, other statutory requirements, along with the Company Secretary
– Scrutinize all proposals, contracts, tenders and agreements for legal loopholes and make changes –
– Interface with external customers and business partners, if necessary, on issues of legal interpretation and dispute
– Set up systems to ensure compliance with statutory requirements through proper documentation and adherence to established processes
– Set up conciliation followed by arbitration mechanism for alternate dispute resolution.
– Ensure effective litigation management of all cases – filing of cases, monitoring the progress of cases and defending cases and provide timely feedback to the Senior Management
– Manage out of court settlements, after seeking approval from the Senior management, and to advise the user departments of any scope for out of court settlement in pending matters.
– Identify external legal counsels for various jobs as and when required and liaison with them to actively support the organization’s objectives and minimize the legal risks to zero or negligible impact.
– Monitor timely submission of relevant documents and returns to the concerned department / division or officials both internal and external.
– Ensure safe custody of original agreements, contracts, major court orders, certificate of incorporation of company, commencement of business, land acquisition papers, etc.
– To put in place system of legal database in digital form for ease of access and transmission and to maintain such database in respect of all cases and matters.
– Ensure timely goal setting, monitoring, review of performance parameters and feedback to the team members
– Ensure capability development of self and team members by actively participating and leveraging training & growth opportunities available including knowledge management initiatives
– Any other additional responsibility could be assigned to the role holder from time to time as a standalone project or regular work. The same would be suitably represented in the Primary responsibilities and agreed between the incumbent and competent authority.
INTERNAL INTERFACES :
– Boar of Directors/CEO/vertical Department HOD/Plant Head/ Group Legal Head
EXTERNAL INTERFACES :
– Regulatory Authorities/ Legal Experts/ External Counsels/ Law Firms/ Consultants/ Courts/ Tribunals/ Judicial Fora.
Desired Qualification/s :
– Graduation or Post Graduation in Law
Desired Experience :
– Minimum 15-20 years of industry experience in legal position
Knowledge & Skills :
– Knowledge of all relevant statutes, mining laws in particular, and in general – government policies, regulations
– Knowledge of legal systems and processes to handle legal cases – Good documentation and communication skills