The India Legal Department is seeking to hire a highly motivated and experienced lawyer to provide advisory and transactional support to Firm’s treasury services, trade, custody and corporate lending business including private financing and structured transactions (collectively the “Practice Areas”) in India. The role will focus on assisting the India business management team in managing legal risks and to protect the reputation and franchise of the firm. Any litigation experience will be an added plus. The position is based out of Mumbai.
You will provide legal advisory to the business groups and other stakeholders, including advice on existing and new Indian banking, financial services and other applicable general laws. You will focus on India, but will be required to ensure a consistent approach with elements of our global and regional policies and standards.
The position reports to the senior lawyer leading the Practice Areas in India.
To partner with and provide legal support and advice to the Firm’s treasury services, trade, custody and loan practice in India. This lawyer will assist in both advisory and transactional mandates.
In particular, primary legal support will include –
– conducting legal due diligence and drafting standard templates for new product and services initiatives;
– independently handling financing transactions including review, advice and negotiation of financing documents and security documents;
– drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts across multiple product offerings within the Practice Areas (custody, fund administration, trade, escrow accounts, nodal accounts, cash account and servicing agreements including fintech tie-ups);
– advising management and other functional partners on legal issues, liaising with regional colleagues and product and services specialists globally within legal as well as instructing and working with outside counsel;
– evaluating existing and new laws and regulations, advising on risk mitigants and independently escalating legal risks and prioritizing the broader interests of the firm;
– keeping a watch on any significant development in the field of insolvency and bankruptcy laws, privacy, data protection, labour laws etc. as well as regulatory developments impacting the franchise in India as a generalist, advising stakeholders within the firm and representing the firm in industry fora.
– Indian law qualified with at least 5-8 years legal experience (optimally, a combination of experience as in-house counsel in the financial services industry and as a lawyer in a top tier law firm).
– Strong drafting, negotiation and legal analytical skills.
– Experienced in financing / facility documentation .
– Able to communicate well and work in a cross-functional team to achieve common goals .
– Able to appreciate and grasp concepts of law from jurisdictions other than India.
– Ability to identify and escalate issues in a timely and appropriate manner .
– Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and respond to business needs and goals .
– Ability to adapt and apply legal skills in new businesses and subjects in which a lawyer may not have expertise.
CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
Qualifications: JD or educational equivalent required. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
About Us –
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
About the Team
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that were setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.
With large, global operations, the Legal team tackles complex issues and helps shape the regulations that affect the businesses. The group is organized into practice groups that align with the lines of business and corporate staff areas, which encourages collaboration on legal, regulatory and business developments as they arise.
The apply button will redirect you to an external URL, please apply there as well.