J.P. Morgan is seeking to hire Legal Counsel to join its Securities Services Legal Practice Group to advise and support J.P. Morgan’s Securities Services business in multiple markets across Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe, Middle-East and Africa (EMEA).
The Securities Services business operates globally and its principal activities include providing global custody and sub-custody services, fund administrative services, securities lending programs, depositary services and collateral management services for mutual and pension funds, managed investment schemes, multi-national corporations, banks and non-bank financial institutions, and government bodies worldwide. In connection with its global custody offering, the Securities Services business has a network of subcustodians in 100+ markets.
Location and Reporting Line
The position is based in Mumbai, at J.P. Morgan’s Corporate Centre (“MCC”), functionally reporting to an experienced lawyer within the Asia Pacific Securities Services Legal team based in Hong Kong and to a local supervisor based in the MCC.
Role and Responsibilities
The position is part of the Securities Services MCC Legal team, which is an integral part of the Securities Services Legal Practice Group that works and interacts closely with APAC and EMEA lawyers within the Securities Services Legal Practice Group (primarily located in Sydney, Hong Kong and London).
The role will include the following responsibilities:
– Draft and negotiate a variety of Securities Services contracts (e.g., global & direct custody agreements, fund services agreements, subcustodian agreements, securities lending agreements, and collateral management services agreements etc.) with clients of the firm, interacting with various internal business and control function stakeholders across geographies;
– Support global and regional Securities Services initiatives and projects, such as developing template agreements, remediating legacy contracts, designing and implementing know-how and best practices, etc.;
– Work on matters relevant to Securities Services’ market infrastructure and subcustodian network management such as (i) reviewing and revising existing subcustodian documentation to be consistent with firm, regulatory and industry standards, (ii) reviewing local market rules/opinions, and (iii) advising on subcustodian agreements; and
– Assist with client due diligence questionnaires, marketing material, responses to clients’ Request-For-Proposals and various other ad hoc requests typical to supporting a dynamic and constantly growing business.
– Qualified as a lawyer in India or other common law jurisdiction with at least 3 and up to 8 years of post-qualification legal experience (1) (either as in-house counsel in the financial services industry or as a lawyer in a top-tier law firm);
– Fluent in written and spoken English;
– Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, together with the ability to communicate and articulate legal issues effectively with colleagues at all levels and across different jurisdictions;
– Strong drafting, negotiation and legal analytical skills;
– Ability to prioritise and proactively manage workflow in a multi-jurisdictional transaction environment;
– Ability to work collaboratively and build close rapport with internal stakeholders across Sales, Product, Client Service, Operation, Risk and Compliance functions across jurisdictions;
– Ability to timely and appropriately identify risks and escalate issues to relevant stakeholders;
– Ability to adapt and apply legal skills in new contexts, to new businesses and subjects in which one may not have prior relevant experience, and willingness to develop and excel beyond his/ her comfort zone; and
– Ability to manage and control legal risks in a constructive manner.
Prior experience in custody, funds and/or securities related services or in transaction banking will be an advantage.
(1) CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
Qualifications: Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
About Us –
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
The apply button will redirect you to an external URL, please apply there as well.