Associate and Legal Counsel – AWM LRCM Team
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co (“JPMC”) is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally conform to the Corporation’s lines of business (“LOBs”) and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis.
J.P. Morgan Asset and Wealth Management (AWM) is one of the largest asset and wealth managers in the world. AWM serves distinct client groups globally through multiple businesses: institutional and retail clients through Asset Management (AM), and high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients through the Global Private Bank. AWM offers global investment management in equities, fixed income, real estate, hedge funds, private equity and liquidity. AWM also provides trust and estate, banking, and brokerage services to high net worth clients, and retirement services for corporations and individuals.
JPMorgan’s Legal Department seeks an experienced lawyer to support its Legal & Regulatory Change Management (LRCM) efforts. This lawyer will be charged with supporting the process for reviewing and synthesizing legal and regulatory developments, assessing whether laws or regulations impact products and services provided by AWM, and engagement of legal subject matter experts across the firm, as needed. The selected candidate will also support efforts to monitor for regulatory developments in specific areas of law relevant to AWM.
Location and Reporting Lines:
The location of this position is Mumbai, India, at the J.P. Morgan Mumbai Corporate Centre (“MCC”) functionally reporting to the Legal Lead for AWM Office of the Legal Obligations in the United States, and to a local supervisor at the MCC.
– Support AWM’s LRCM efforts, including the process for reviewing and assessing regulatory developments.
– Monitor and research laws and regulations relevant to AWM, including U.S. and non U.S. laws. The initial focus will be on laws relevant to the Global Private Bank’s Trusts & Estates business with potential expansion into other relevant areas of law.
– Prepare concise summaries of developments; make recommendations to attorneys on the relevance of the developments and their potential impact to AWM.
– Prepare/maintain matrices used by legal and the business, with oversight from legal subject matter experts.
– Support the maintenance of relevant legal obligations in the firm’s Enterprise Library Application (ELA), and provide appropriate notifications to AWM’s legal and regulatory change management team.
– Participate in meetings to discuss regulatory developments with stakeholders.
– Correspond and collaborate with paralegals, attorneys, and other professionals on legal and regulatory issues impacting multiple LOBs.
– Conduct additional legal research and participate on special projects, as needed.
– Provide other support that may be requested of the Legal Department from time to time.
– Fluent in written and spoken English, with excellent English writing and communication skills.
– Law degree and membership in jurisdictional organization. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
– 3-5 years of experience in financial services law.
– Excellent legal research skills, including experience with Westlaw or similar services.
– Strong analytical thinker who is detail-oriented, practical and skilled at issue spotting and problem solving.
– Self-starter who is able to work collaboratively in a high performing team, takes ownership of responsibilities and projects, is results-oriented and flexible.
– Ability to multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced, complex business environment and maintain communication with attorneys regarding project status and estimated completion timelines.
– Competence with the suite of Microsoft Office products, including Microsoft Excel.
– All candidates for roles in the Legal Department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
– LLM preferred.
– Experience or interest in financial services regulation.
– Knowledge of the U.S. legislative and regulatory process.
– Experience studying or working in a common law jurisdiction (e.g., UK, US, Australia).
– Intermediate or advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
– Technological mindset and/or background is a plus.
About Us –
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
About the Team
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that were setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.
With large, global operations, the Legal team tackles complex issues and helps shape the regulations that affect the businesses. The group is organized into practice groups that align with the lines of business and corporate staff areas, which encourages collaboration on legal, regulatory and business developments as they arise.
The apply button will redirect you to an external URL. Please apply there as well.