Position : Director – Legal
Company : Global Indian Pharma Company HQ in Pune
Location : Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reporting Relationship : To be Developed
Team Size : 10-15
About the role:
This is a newly created position where the individual will be responsible for the effective and efficient legal support for business restructuring, mergers/amalgamation, acquisitions, contracts, documentation management, providing legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
Head (Legal) is accountable for the Legal and risk management operations of the Company.
Roles & Responsibilities:
– Serve as a legal and business advisor to both the India Senior Leadership Team
– Lead negotiator, active participation as a member of the legal team with the business and the first point of contact on legal issues arising in relation to India business
– Advise stakeholders like Sales, HR, Commercial, and R&D, including Senior Leadership on a broad range of legal disciplines, including company law, labour compliances, commercial contracts, regulatory, business law, local laws on privacy, compliance and anti-corruption etc.
– Liaise with and provide general legal advice and support to the sales team, finance, marketing, engineering, corporate internal audit, Legal IP team, and other functions
– Support and/or the implementation of innovative and replicable legal solutions to business problems, managing policies and ensuring consistency with corporate strategy and business objectives, while maintaining the company’s high standards of integrity and ethical and transparent conduct
– Work closely and seamlessly with the team to ensure compliance issues are identified and managed effectively
– Ability to analyse legal implications of various issues and advising various internal stakeholders and management on it.
– Dealing with all legal matters including criminal, civil, police liaison, and arbitration matters. Drafting, vetting of Criminal complaints, criminal writ Appeals, SLP & well versed with Court Process, well networked in Govt.& Police department.
– Drafting and vetting of various cross-border Agreements, Contracts and other documents.
– Attending Court cases and assisting the counsel in drafting of Written Submissions & Petitions.
– Litigation, to give business the edge by pre-empting its needs [fool proof agreements etc.]
– Handling of cases, consumer case notices, NCLT, Recovery, Defamation, attend court & liaison with advocates etc.
– Prepare, review and modify legal documents/contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities/functional departments.
– Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on various aspects of laws to various functional departments.
– Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the legal department for management meetings.
– Responsible for litigation, legal notices, keep records of all licenses & compliances and all litigation matters.
– Knowledge in legal aspects relating to various Labour Laws, Shops and Establishment Legislations, Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act etc.
– Manage a regional team of individuals in the execution of the defined legal strategy and deliverables, including;
– Negotiate, draft and structure a wide range of complex commercial contracts with customers, partners and suppliers
– Provide legal and business advice and support for the operations of the India region, including with respect to:
– Organizational structure and go-to-market strategy
– Corporate compliance and governance, data protection and any other liaison that may be required with regulatory/ government authorities)
– Labor and employment (managed exits, reorganizations, compliance with Companies Act, Shops, and Establishment Act)
– Environmental and corporate social responsibility
– Real estate, finance and accounting, insurance and general commercial issues
– Assist in the supervision of litigation matters (primarily commercial and employment-related), including management of external counsel
– Develop region-specific processes and deliver effective training to ensure compliance with local legal, regulatory and business requirements
– As needed, assist in region-specific management of transactions involving acquisitions and strategic partnerships
– Provide, and assist in providing, company secretarial support for all local entities including the establishment, management, and maintenance (and closing, as necessary) of corporate subsidiaries and branches in connection with regional operations in new or existing jurisdiction.
A desirable candidate must have graduation or post-graduation in Law with experience of minimum 12 years and maximum 20 years; out of which at least 10 years experience with a law firm or large conglomerate of repute, with a proven track record.
– Should have sound knowledge of Legal matters and should have updated knowledge of Indian Laws.
– Should have been working as a Legal Head of Public Limited Company
– Exposure to pre & post IPO & M&As
– Demonstrates authority and takes responsibility for significant areas in field of expertise. Can be held fully accountable for own decisions and actions, and those of subordinates.
– Uses experience to make informed decisions on selection and execution of all relevant approaches across a wide field in a management capacity. The expertise commands respect across the organisation. Can exert influence even without organisational authority.
– Demonstrates leadership skills in a wide variety of contexts. Is able to understand, explain and present complex ideas to both specialist and non-specialist audiences at all levels in a persuasive and convincing manner. Is able to analyze and explain the risks involved in using, or not using, or not using, specialist solutions to business or organizational problems.
In addition to the above, the incumbent must bring maturity along with good corporate values and ethics.-
Education : The ideal candidate will have a Graduate or Post Graduate in Law a premier university or college. A Master’s Degree in law from an international university will be an added advantage.