– Responsible for drafting, vetting, negotiating, review and closing various types of agreements such as term sheet, share subscription agreement, shareholders agreement, employment agreement, loan agreements, NCD subscription agreements and other definitive agreements for equity and debt investments.
– Creating standard templates for equity and debt transactions. Provide document execution support, indexing, and record-keeping of the executed agreements.
– Reviewing all types of agreements that are required for various purposes and business verticals. Negotiate terms of contracts with internal and external stakeholders.
– Undertake legal due diligence on clients and portfolio companies, including title search on immovable properties.
– Research, interpret, simplify, and assist the team members on day-to-day legal activities. Managing and advising upon contentious and non-contentious legal issues arising in the business from time to time
– Proactively track the regulatory changes and notifications issued by MCA, SEBI, and RBI. Manage statutory and contractual compliances, including compliances under the Companies Act, and the regulations framed by RBI and SEBI.
– Attend to court/arbitration cases and handle correspondence with external parties, law firms, advisors, lenders, and coordination of legal requests.
– Prepare MIS to keep management and Board informed of critical legal issues. Keep up to date records of all deliverables and documents
Qualifications that are necessary for someone to be considered for the position.
Experience: A minimum of 2-3 years of experience in law firm. Experience in corporate and transaction advisory is mandatory.
Education: Minimum LLB or equivalent
– Specialized knowledge /Skills : General Corporate and M&A
– Professional Certification
– Highly team-oriented and results-driven
– Strong appetite for learning new things
– In-depth knowledge of relevant law and best practices
– Clear written and spoken communication
– Travel requirements
– Direct reports
– Individual Contributor
We are pioneers of impact investing in India. Since our inception in 2004, we have launched 4 funds (3 equity and 1 debt) and have managed USD 180 Mn of assets across the sectors of financial inclusion, food & agriculture, clean technology, healthcare, and education. A summary of our funds are as follows:
– Bellwether (2004): The first venture capital fund for microfinance in India. The goal of this fund was to seed and develop the microfinance market in India at a time when there were less than five investible entities. Bellwether was the first external equity investor in many of today’s market leaders like Ujjivan and Jana Small Finance Banks
– India Financial Inclusion Fund (- IFIF- 2008): We launched IFIF with the mandate to catalyze the now seeded microfinance sector and to continue developing the broader sphere of financial inclusion. Via IFIF, we seeded the first pure-play affordable housing finance (AHF) company in India
– Caspian Debt (2013): With Caspian Debt, our debt fund, we became a pioneer for providing previously unavailable corporate debt to impact-focused enterprises in India. Investment amounts range from INR 10 – 200 Mn. The focus sectors of CII include food & agriculture, clean energy, healthcare, education, and inclusive finance. Since inception, we have disbursed over USD 170 Mn in loans to 116 impact-driven companies
– Caspian SME Impact Fund IV (- Fund IV- ): Our latest fund is aimed at catalyzing the development of the agricultural ecosystem in the country through Series A & B equity investments. We have made two investments from this fund so far
Focus on Impact: In addition to delivering healthy financial returns over the years, our core focus is impact. We have successfully balanced impact goals with financial returns. We are a certified B-Corp and in 2018 were amongst the Best for the World Honourees. Partnerships: Historically we have had strong partnerships. These include active relationships with Triodos, CDC, FMO, NMI, Gray Ghost, responsAbility, USAID, RaboBank, and OPIC, amongst others.
THE CASPIAN CULTURE:
Caspian promotes meritocracy and is an equal opportunity employer. You will be an important part of our organization and will have a key role in our continuing success. Working as a team is critically important at Caspian. Our organization is lean and requires efficient solutions, unencumbered by excessive bureaucracy. As a result, we work together to find the most innovative answers, maintaining an environment that is very entrepreneurial.
We encourage you to visit our website at Caspian Impact Investment for more information on the firm.