The WordPress project is supported by a vibrant community of volunteers who are passionate about open source technology. Community Engagement Specialists provide support and mentorship to volunteer contributors who build WordPress events and grow the WordPress community.
Community Engagement Specialists have three essential pillars to their jobs:
1. Recruiting and collaborating with volunteers,
2. Training, education, and public speaking,
3. Record keeping and general administration of volunteer programs.
Excellent leadership and communication skills are needed to succeed in this work. You should know how to empower and encourage volunteers in addition to experience with training. You must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to connect with people from a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. The health of the project is directly related to how engaged volunteers are.
What you will do:
– Identify potential volunteers and foster their involvement with the project
– Collect information on availabilities and skills
– Arrange for appropriate training when needed
– Work across time zones to find and participate in meeting times
– Coordinate teams of volunteers for large-scale actions
– Communicate frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and well-placed
– Facilitate conversations between volunteers
– Disseminate information for upcoming actions and events
– Keep detailed records of volunteers’ information and needs
– nsure the purpose of the organization and its actions are clearly communicated
We’d love to talk with you if you have:
– Proven experience leading volunteers or similar
– Ability to collaborate as a member of a global team
– Experience in volunteering locally and/or internationally
– Experience in volunteer recruitment through various channels
– Ability to write and communicate effectively in English, for a global audience
– Excellent organizational and team coordination abilities
– Bonus skills we’d love to know about
– Familiarity with community mediation and moderation
– Familiarity with open source and understanding of GPL
– Participation in open source communities
– Familiarity with privacy laws, trademark and domain name infringement
– Familiarity with reviewing legal contracts and documents
– Fluency in languages other than English
– Experience creating and implementing global programs for volunteers
– PR experience at a large organization
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic:
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change.
For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.